New minimum wage rates take effect from 1 April 2014The new adult minimum wage rates (before tax) that apply to employees aged 16 or over will be:
- $14.25 per hour, which is
- $114.00 for an 8-hour day,
- $570.00 for a 40-hour week.
The Starting-out wage rates and the training minimum wage rates (before tax) will increase to:
- $11.40 an hour, which is
- $91.20 for an 8-hour day or
- $456.00 for a 40-hour week.
The Starting-out wage applies to:
- 16 and 17 year olds in their first six months of work with a new employer (or until they are training or supervising others)
- 18 and 19 year olds who have been paid a benefit for six months or longer, and who have not completed six months of continuous work with any employer since starting on benefit (or until they are training or supervising others)
- 16 to 19 year old workers in a recognised industry training course involving at least 40 credits a year.
For more information on minimum wage rates, go to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's website (dol.govt.nz / Minimum Wage/) or call 0800 20 90 20.